Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Goal

I never make New Year's resolutions, but this year I have made it a goal to be a better blogger. In my last post I chastised Brendan for not updating the blog, but since then I haven't exactly been blogging up a storm myself. In order to blog more though we need to have more dinner parties and unfortunately due to apartment renovations another second saturday has come and gone without a dinner party. Soon though my friends, soon I promise.

So instead I offer a recap of some food highs and lows from the last year:

1. Camp food (low)
Deep fried all the time

2. Camp Bread (high)
Mickael is a french god when it comes to baguettes and croissants.

3. Argentinian beef (high)
Better than any other beef I have ever had. We ate a lot of it.

4. The Argentinian "mixed grill" (low)
Beware of this unless you really like intestines

5. Argentinian wine (high)
We drank a lot of it.

6. Canning (high)
Being unemployed means you have a lot of time on your hands. I filled it by making and
canning preserves. To date I have made vanilla pear jam, spiced apple butter, and lemon curd.

7. Julia Child baguettes (high)
When I said I had lots of time, I meant it. These took me all day to make, but they were worth it!

8. Second Saturday weekend at Cam and Rita's farm (high)
Beef heart, oxtail, carpaccio, beet salad, squash and tomatillo soup, and homemade chocolate brownies made for a delicious meal. Great friends, feeding the pigs, wandering and eating our way through Stratford made for a great weekend.

9. French Macaroons (high)
Due to the never-ending renovations of our new apartment I didn't have the time to do the christmas baking I usually do, but I did get to help my sister make these amazing little pastel cookies. Yummy!

10. Discovering all the great new food options in our new hood (high)
We live above dufflet's and next to an organic butcher. Also nearby: Caribbean Bistro (goat roti!), C'est Bon Authentic Chinese, Alex's Cheese, David's Tea, Sorn Thai, Say Tea, Classico Pizza, Pastissima, North 44 and Centro (if we ever get rich), and the Cupcake Shoppe. There's also a gym close by.

11. Eating breakfast lunch and dinner at all the new places in our new hood (low)
When you're spending 10 hours a day painting your new apartment, but aren't living there yet you eat out a lot. It's enjoyable for the first few days. It gets old really fast.

12. Lentil Soup and shrimp rings (high)
Both of these are Christmas Eve Traditions. Even the slightly burnt soup couldn't ruin it.

There you have it, 12 food highs and lows from the last year and a promise for more blog updates to come. You can hold me to it.

Up next: Recipes for Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment